Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The reason why

I had a very long day yesterday, we had an event in college which I had to attend and I was on my feet for hours. I went to the toilet and had a gush of blood. Oh for God's sake... couldn't leave, had to wait for about an hour till the event was over. I went to the toilet another couple of times and no more blood. 
When I finally got home at about 9pm I had made up my mind that I was going to get checked out. This was no longer spotting. Of course I also used the doppler to see if Phoenix was still with us and thankfully I found very quickly a nice HB. Mike called me a taxi and off I went. I suppose this is one of those situations when not having any support is a bit of a problem, but we managed. I got to the hospital just after 10, the taxi driver was a lovely man with 5 children of his own and was very reassuring. I checked in and was told it was going to be about an hour as there were a few people ahead of me. Ah well, that's no biggie (read: I know the baby is alive!). But I was actually seen at about 1.30 am!! The doctor on the floor was called twice for two emergency c-sections...anyway, she was lovely, gave a scan which showed a healthy sleeping Phoenix with a perfect HB and nothing wrong at all, no SCH, no bleeding, nice placenta etc. She then suggested to have a look at the cervix to see if there was something obvious (my paranoia was of course that all the coughing had shortened the cervix, causing the bleeding), and there was!! It is called ectropion and it's a common occurrence in pregnancy. Practically a bit of the uterine lining start covering the cervical canal and appears through the cervix. This easily bleeds. Totally benign and nothing to worry about. I want to thank my ciber friend Gen who kept me company via Whatsapp during the wait and got me thinking I also wanted to eat fish! I got home and in bed at 3.45 am. Needless to say when the alarm went off before 7 I thought I had just closed my eyes...so today and tomorrow I'm taking it easy!

11 comments:

Alex said...

Oh how scary!!! I'm so glad you went to the hospital and got it checked out. And I'm THRILLED that nothing is wrong and Phoenix is doing great!

Valery said...

ectropion. It sounds like a planet in cyber space.
I can't believe this is happening to you (did you find out what the chances are of this happening again?)
Glad you had the Doppler to help you keep your sanity, glad there were so many nice people on your way.

(Please dear fran's uterus, while I understand perfectly common and harmless, Please No More Surprises!!!)

erika said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry about the scare. I am so glad you both are doing ok and that this ER trip finally gave you the answer. I am also glad you have the Doppler at hand, some re-assurance can go a long way!
I hope you will get a little time to catch up on some rest.
(((HUGS))) and lot's of love your ways

erika said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry about the scare. I am so glad you both are doing ok and that this ER trip finally gave you the answer. I am also glad you have the Doppler at hand, some re-assurance can go a long way!
I hope you will get a little time to catch up on some rest.
(((HUGS))) and lot's of love your ways

Life Happens said...

I'm glad everything is okay. What a scare! I hope you can take it easy a bit. And Phoenix keeps growing :)

Anonymous said...

Fran! Oh my dear! I am so sorry. That must have been terrifying! I am so happy that everything is okay with you and Phoenix!! Please take it easy for the next couple of days!!! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

lostintranslation said...

Yikes! That would have completely freaked me out! But so glad it turns out to be benign and nothing to worry about (although I can imagine you'd still rather do without). Glad you and Phoenix are OK.

Kim said...

Glad all is well, what a frightening false alarm, always prefer a false alarm over a real on though! get some rest.

Mad Hatter said...

Well PHEW!!! I'm glad you know what it is now - information is power! (and peace of mind) Take good care of you.
Love,
Maddy

Anonymous said...

Once again, Fran, I apologize for not being able to read and comment as often as I'd like. I am so glad they found the reason for your bleeding and that it is benign. Such a relief! I wish all the best for you and your family.

Mina said...

At least now you know and got that one off the list of worries (you know what I mean). Good to know you're doing fine. Take care.