Monday, October 22, 2012

13w2d, awful cough and welcome back spotting (not!)

It must be over two weeks I have this awful cough. It doesn't bother me at night at all, and mostly not during the day, but I get these fits mid morning which are terrible! It's chesty and scratchy and unmaskable. I obviously forgot to tell the OB last monday, so I never took anything. But last tuesday I decided to the to a chemist which was handy (not my usual one) and the guy says that a particular syrup which I had at home was suitable for pregnancy. So off I went and since tuesday I started taking this med once a day (not 3). Till on friday I decided to consult Dr. Google to see if it was true. It wasn't. Panic. Ok, I started saying to myself that I didn't take that much after all and that I'll just kill that pharmacist who obviously doesn't know his job. On saturday I called my chemist and asked her opinion. She would not have recommended it. So I went back to the moron-chemist and after a brief intro to make sure he remembered me from last tuesday, I asked him if he was sure about the safety of carbocisteine (the active molecule in the drug) in pregnancy, because my doctor (Google) told me to stop it immediately. he was adamant it was safe, but of course to stop it if I was told so, he even checked a book which apparently confirmed his opinion. Anyway, I can't undo what I have done and just have to hope for the best. Since last thursday we have been able to pick up the HB on the home doppler, and it was still there on saturday which was quite reassuring.
I don't know if it's the cough or what by my spotting is back. He comes visiting about once a week since last week, not much at all, mostly brown streaks in between the usual mucus or just a brown tinge. I'm starting thinking it's my cervix and that's it. Annoying though, VERY annoying. Mostly because yo don't know if it's going to stay like that or become a full flow at some point. I just have to hope for the best.

In other news, I have been awarded among other 30 bloggers for a fertility advice award! Apparently I'm an authority in the field!

5 comments:

Mina said...

I knew that you "could" take a very few drugs during pregnancy and breastfeeding if the mother's health cannot bounce back otherwise. Cold medicine not being among them. I am developping a nasty cough too, and I am self medicating with honey and lemon and teas. Hope your cough goes away soon.
As for spotting, if it's brown, doesn't that mean it's old(er)?
A least you can calm your worries with the doppler. Soon enough you'll feel movement. :-)

Alex said...

Ugh - sorry about the scary advice about the medicine. You only took it for a short time, I'm sure it's fine. And spotting? Seriously? We should get a free pass from spotting - the entire pregnancy!!! Glad to hear that all is well on the doppler. Before you know it you'll be getting those fabulous reassuring kicks as well. Hang in there!

Congrats on the award - very cool!!!

erika said...

Arrrgh)))) at the ignorant pharmacist. I am sorry he gave you such bad advice! I had a cold once during pregnancy, and that's just misery. I hope you will find a good remedy and the cough will subside soon.
And the spotting again? ugh, I can't believe it keeps returning for you:( I hope it is just the same-old benign pattern and is nothing to worry about. It's just nerves you dont need now. Spottting go away!

Congrats on the nomination. You are right, you are authority! your story has been great inspiration to many of us. Thank you for all the wonderful support by sharing!
Much love your ways

Mad Hatter said...

Oh dear! Stupid chemist! Grrrrrrr!
I am sure little Phoenix is FINE, though.
I know the spotting is super worrisome, but from my copious blog reading over the years, I suspect that the cough has just caused you to become slightly dehydrated. The spotting is brown, which indicates it is old blood. Therefore, just drink a LOT of water and get a little extra rest if you can and I'll bet that helps stop the spotting.
Congrats on the well-deserved award! You are a gem!!!
Love,
Maddy

Adele said...

Fran, very sorry to hear about both the coughing AND the spotting. A friend of mine had a terrible nagging cough through much of her pregnancy. I don't remember the details but it was actually pregnancy-related. In terms of the spotting, hoping it's just as you've thought...my doc kept telling us that the "cervix is very friable during pregnancy" and that the least little thing could cause it to spot.

(I'm sorry to have been such a terrible commenter lately).