Wednesday, April 20, 2011

So much for a plan! (updated with video-clip!)

Well, I gave in and this evening I fed Oliver a little bit of baby rice! He loved it! I am following Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby & Toddler Meal Planner and so even though Oliver is only 15w4d old I followed my instinct and introduced baby rice (just a tea spoon) to his diet. Milk is definitely not enough. I thought it was last Saturday when I posted but nope. Last night he was very unsettled again, chewing hands and on the verge of crying. I really think he was hungry.
Today it was a struggle to get him through his normal four hours break between 210ml feed of the almost all hungry babies formula. For the last couple of weeks I actually gave him a sip of water or fennel tea between feeds when he seemed to be getting impatient. At 8pm this evening we gave him almost half a bottle of formula to make sure he wasn't starving and then we tried the rice with the spoon. We filmed this moment and we were on Skype at the same time with my parents! Would you believe it, he didn't spill a thing! The book said it probably would take a few attempts and very likely the food would have been all over (babies still have the tongue reflex which pushes against the spoon) but not my boy!
Hopefully this is going to be enough now till the 17 week mark.

Video uploaded (it took ages!!) let me know if you can see it!

10 comments:

Alex said...

Way to go, momma, for trusting your instinct! Hope he stays easy with the feeding - I've heard it can get messy...

BB said...

OMG... I can't believe how well he is eating!

daega99 said...

We tried cereal tonight an Zliam hated it... Oh well, we'll try again later!

Life Happens said...

So cute!! He is precious!

Courtney said...

Way to go Oliver!! He's eating like a champ!

Anonymous said...

I love this video! I was sitting here grinning ear to ear watching it. I love how he is SO intently focused on the camera - Daddy filming him? - as Oliver motors through that spoonful of cereal. And not one grimace! Yup, your boy is going to LOVE eating! Great job, Fran!

Kakunaa said...

That is freaking amazing! And I am blown away by how much he has filled out :-) I keep thinking ours won't, but O gives me hope! Then again, I have gotten used to skinny and wrinkly, LOL. So exciting!

Flower said...

Aw....way to go Oliver! Love the video!

jill said...

So cute! :)

kdactyl said...

I'm in the US and not sure what the Irish doctors will tell you...but when I took my daughter to her 4 month checkup (approx 16 weeks)...they actually encouraged me to start her on solids. I was suprised because with my (just 3 years ago)...they wanted us to wait until he was 6 months old. I asked why they changed their position and the Dr. explained that delaying solids did not alleviate some food allergies as they had previously thought and that by delaying solids they were finding the rate of anemia and vit D deficiency were rising. So...they now want you to introduce the solids earlier and get a wide variety of tastes/textures to your baby earlier so that they will eat a larger variety of iron and vit D Rich foods. Very interesting. I was actually kind of bummed because my daughter seemed happy just nursing and we use cloth diapers so I didn't want to introduce anything other than breast milk too soon because that totally changes my washing routine...ha ha....so selfish on my part. Anyway...we did start by introducing the rice cereal and about once a week we introduce a new food. She is now 5 months and one week and she has had rice cereal, peas, green beans, pears, carrots (hated them), sweet potatoes, apple sauce and bananas. Just a little at a time still...but she is doing great!!!